Government Relations, Policy
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2023
At Plaid, our mission is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. There has never been a better time than now to start building the future of fintech with us. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo, SoFi, and Betterment, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid’s network covers 12,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam. #LI-Remote
The Policy team works with governments, policymakers, consumer groups, trade associations, and think tanks to nourish an Open Finance ecosystem that allows consumers to use their financial data to get the products and services they want, and use those products and services to build healthier financial lives. We are one of the driving forces between bringing Open Banking and Open Finance regulations to the United States.
The Policy team is looking for someone to lead our government relations work with financial service regulatory agencies and Congress. This role requires a strong communicator and coalition builder with deep substantive knowledge of financial services regulation, a commitment to consumer protection, and the ability to evaluate the benefits and costs of policy choices from the perspective of multiple stakeholders. The role calls for the ability to develop and execute engagement strategies that achieve Plaid’s policy, product, and business goals with a high degree of independence and initiative. Successful candidates will also need to identify areas of aligned interest between Plaid and other policy stakeholders, represent Plaid in engagements with policy makers and at conferences and forums, and help inform other Plaid teams on how the changing regulatory landscape creates opportunities and risks. This person should also have an aptitude for navigating complex political dynamics and understanding how they affect Plaid and our customers. It requires someone who is technically inclined, who can translate “tech talk” into “policy wonk” and visa versa.
In this position, you will collaborate most closely with Plaid’s Financial Access, Communications, Legal, and Compliance teams to articulate the future of Open Banking and Open Finance and advocate for Plaid’s role in it. If defining a digital financial services future that works for banks, credit unions, fintechs and--most importantly--consumers excites you, let’s chat!
What excites you
- Building the future of open finance and influencing the next phase of financial services
- Being a champion for consumer access to financial services and regulatory and industry modernization
- Bringing faster payments and other consumer-friendly financial innovations to market and to scale with the full support of regulators
- Clear, non-partisan advocacy on complex and technical issues
- Getting up to speed quickly across all aspects of our business, including deep understanding of our technology and products
- Drafting of comment letters, op-eds, presentations, and related content to support Plaid’s internal policy positions
- Collaborating in a flat, highly cross-functional environment that with a high degree of independence and high expectations of impact
What excites us
- 10-15 years of experience in financial services policy
- Deep policy experience; combined banking and payments experience a plus
- Strong relationship management skills and excitement to influence policymakers
- Analytical horsepower and ability to get up to speed quickly
- Empathetic collaborator who understands the needs and objectives of diverse stakeholders
- Technical and product affinity; ability to map technology to policy and see around corners as both change
- Creative and flexible; identifies opportunities in a nebulous space
- Strategic thinkers who connect industry-wide insights to help structure advocacy
- Co-conspirators who enjoy working with other experienced leaders to develop new approaches for Plaid
- Low ego and high credibility; positive, collaborative, organized and eager to be persistent to achieve objectives
Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected].
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
See more open positions at Plaid
Something looks off?