Senior Protocol Engineer
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2023
Fuel is building a high-performance blockchain operating system that provides high throughput without sacrificing decentralisation or security. Our project is a full-stack solution that lets anyone deploy a Fuel chain using any configuration they would like (Rollup on Ethereum, Sovereign chain, Appchain, etc.). Our focus is to launch an Ethereum rollup to help scale Ethereum beyond its current capacity.
Working at Fuel
Fuel is remote first and globally distributed, with English as our primary language for communication. We are looking for self-starters who are excited about working in a fast-paced startup environment. We do not require contributors to live in specific time zones, but much of the team lives and works in the European and US time zones. Contributors should endeavour to make themselves available as needed for scheduled team and company events.
What we need from you
Fuel is seeking a full-time Senior Protocol Engineer who will work at the bleeding edge of blockchain scalability R&D, designing and building robust blockchain full-node software powered by a next-generation virtual machine. For this position, we need someone who is equally a thought leader as they are a senior technical professional. Someone who is opinionated, and isn't afraid to give feedback on our existing blockchain architecture and use their extraordinary talent to present new ideas.
You’ll get to:
- Build brand new blockchain architecture from scratch that isn't pieced together from other blockchains
- Solve legacy issues/problems existing in other blockchain projects
- Enabling extremely high throughput and parallelism
- Continue upgrading and improving the protocol over time, even after the mainnet launch
Areas of Responsibility
- Working on low-level improvements and optimisations of the Fuel VM
- Building new protocol features based on specifications changes including but not limited to bridging, fraud proofing, multidimensional pricing, and improving gas efficiency/economic modelling to increase throughput further
- Building secure and resilient distributed P2P systems
- Maintaining Fuel after the mainnet launch
- Solid track record of experience as a software engineer
- Strong proficiency in Rust (open-source contributions preferred)
- Deep understanding of virtual machines and/or blockchain node software
- Experience developing or designing P2P distributed systems