NAI - Scouting Manager
A better future will not happen automatically — the world needs talented, driven, and resilient people to build it. By supporting thousands of founders across the world in launching and scaling their dream startups, Antler aspires to drive global change through tech and innovation.
To date, Antler is present in 28 cities across the world, with a portfolio of more than 900 startups. As a global VC, Antler has the capacity to invest from first check in startups generated through its own venture building programs all the way to Series C.
Since August 2019, more than 270 founders have attended Antler’s venture building programs in Nairobi, while the Antler Africa Fund has invested in 24 game-changing African pre-seed startups. Through its venture builder, Antler aspires to “fast-track” the early days of a startup’s journey, offering co-founder matchmaking, a vibrant startup community space, founder coaching, networks, fundraising support, and capital.
Over the coming 5 years, Antler aims to build and invest in more than 100 new startups on the African continent, with offices in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa.
As a day zero investor, Antler works with exceptional founders from the start of their entrepreneurial journeys. As a Scouting Manager, you will identify, contact, interview and onboard top talent that would like to launch their company with Antler, as well as screen, evaluate and coach founders on their ideas as part of the selection process. This role is pivotal for Antler’s success and allows you to build strong networks in the founder and startup ecosystem.
If you’re up for the challenge, we can promise an incredible experience, and an unparalleled opportunity to work with highly motivated individuals, accomplished entrepreneurs, and the founders of future startup successes.
In the role you will (but not be limited to) the following areas of work:
- Develop, execute and own the founder scouting strategy for Antler in Africa to attract, assess and onboard top tier entrepreneurs
- Manage Antler Africa’s media and PR strategy, including content creation, partnerships, events, and marketing initiatives to build Antler’s brand in Africa
- Engage with the wider ecosystem and founder community to grow Antler’s awareness, networks and drive top-of-funnel growth
Founder screening and program onboarding:
- Manage a small team to deliver flawless end-to-end applicant screening, interviewing and selection, ensuring thorough assessment of each applicant for the Antler programs
- Screen and conduct first-round interviews with candidates
- Develop and manage the candidate program onboarding process, including in-person and online interactions to clarify any founder questions or concerns
- Serve as the primary point of contact, collaborating and liaising with Antler’s global scouting team to improve and enhance Antler’s processes for founder identification, engagement and onboarding
- Conduct analytics and collect relevant founder data to ensure a fact-based approach to decision making, improvements, and reporting
- Higher education
- 5-8 years of work experience in early stage startups and/or in the tech startup ecosystem
- Strong networks for and deep familiarity with African tech startup ecosystem
- Strong passion for meeting new people, learning about their stories and backgrounds
- Have previously managed teams and individuals that have excelled in high-paced and challenging environments, e.g. startups, consulting, or technology companies
- Proven track record of taking initiative and working autonomously to achieve goals
- Independent, results-oriented and proactive with a can-do attitude
- Comfortable with quick changes, tight deadlines and ambiguity
- Excellent communications skills
- Accomplished and structured problem-solver
- Great motivator – identifies, attracts, develops and retains teams
What we offer
- Leadership position in a global company with rapid growth
- International environment which treats everyone with respect, promotes diversity and gives you room to grow
- Opportunity to work with a highly qualified and fun team
- Opportunity to take part in the early shaping and product/tech vision of the next generation of disruptive tech companies in Africa
- Incredible growth and networking in the world of Venture Capital
Start date: ASAP
Work location: Nairobi (ABC place)