Antler is the investor backing the world’s most driven founders, from day zero to greatness.
Founded on the belief that people innovating is the key to building a better future, we partner with people across six continents to launch and scale high-potential startups that address meaningful opportunities and challenges.
Knowing that exceptional founders can come from anywhere with any background, we have offices in 27 cities, including Austin, New York, London, Berlin, Stockholm, Bangalore, Jakarta, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, and Sydney.
Our global community backs people from the beginning with co-founder matching, deep business model validation, initial capital, expansion support, and follow-on funding. Fueled by a personal passion that goes beyond traditional investing, we have helped create and invested in more than 900 startups across a wide range of industries and technologies, with the goal of backing more than 6,000 by 2030.
Read more about who we are and what we do here.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an exceptional leader to join Antler Australia’s Leadership team to define and lead our activities in Queensland. Now deploying our second fund, Antler has ambitions to invest in 100+ companies in Australia over the coming years - and Queensland is a key pillar to that strategy.
Responsibilities for the Director, Queensland include:
- Develop, drive and own the strategy to attract the best Queensland founders to build businesses with Antler
- Lead deal sourcing for direct investments into pre-seed Queensland start-ups
- Assess and select founders as part of our overall Australia-wide review process
- Build partnerships with Queensland ecosystem players (e.g. pre-accelerators, universities, local government institutions, etc) to promote Antler and the wider Queensland start-up industry
- Lead coaching and mentorship delivery for Queensland teams alongside Antler Partners and Venture Partners
- Provide investment recommendations on Queensland opportunities
- Deliver Masterclasses and coaching sessions across Antler Australia program to provide guidance to founders on product, growth, go-to-market and fundraising among other topics
- Drive business development opportunities for Antler portfolio companies from Queensland alongside Antler Australia leadership via showcases, events and network
- Develop Partner-level relationships at top Queensland investors to build co-investment opportunities and accelerate funding pathways for Antler portfolio
- Build and develop Antler’s founder community ecosystem in Queensland via events, partnerships and Antler portfolio showcases
- Define and execute Antler’s capability building strategy to strengthen the broader Queensland start-up community
- Contribute heavily to Queensland VC and start-up programs and networks via panels, networking and leveraging Antler global relationships
- Start date: December 2023
- Role based in Brisbane: This role will be based in Brisbane, with significant ecosystem engagement particularly in Brisbane and Gold Coast. There will be some travel to Antler’s Sydney and Melbourne offices
You love and believe in people. You know that the founding team is the heart of a startup and is ultimately responsible for an early-stage company's success. You thrive in spotting exceptional talent and helping them build companies and raise capital. To date, you will have a strong track record of investment or you have been a founder who has built a business and raised institutional capital.
Grit, drive and execution
You have the ambition and inner motivation to reach for extremely big outcomes and the perseverance to address, problem-solve, and find solutions to complex operational challenges. You are not shy of being independent with a laser focus on execution and results.
You believe in being open and honest. You are a clean and concise communicator able to negotiate and deliver tough messages with clarity and empathy.
We have a one-team approach. We win together and take risks, acknowledging this means backing and recognising each other’s efforts and offering support when needed.
Traits we look for in this role include:
- Significant experience of founding/building/investing in early stage tech start-ups or scale-ups, ideally from pre-seed through to series A/B in senior leadership role
- Strong business acumen gained via experience in a highly analytical environment e.g. venture capital, start-up operations, management consulting, investment banking, or broader equities backgrounds
- Ability to network across diverse communities to find innovative investment opportunities through thorough due diligence
- Builds trust quickly and comfortable engaging directly with startup founders including strong written and verbal feedback delivery skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Existing start-up ecosystem network in Queensland is preferred
- VC or angel investing experience is a bonus
Additional traits that apply across Antler include:
Entrepreneurial mindset, comfortable with quick changes, tight deadlines, ambiguity, and willingness to support the growth of Antler.
Highly organized and able to structure and execute multiple processes simultaneously
Independent and proactive with a focus on execution
Highly collaborative approach and influencing skills
High level of ambition which will translate to building the DNA of Antler as a world-class company
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to write and speak in a structured and articulate manner
Passion for entrepreneurship and believe the world needs more change-makers and innovators
Results-oriented and outstanding personal commitment to setting and achieving lofty goals
Accomplished and structured problem-solver, strong business model thinking
Our mission at Antler is to make progress inevitable. We know a better future will not happen automatically—the world needs talented, driven, and resilient people to build it.
By helping thousands of founders launch and scale the next generation of great companies that address some of the most pressing challenges of our time, we move society forward and make progress a certainty.
The local values that guide our team to achieve this mission every day include:
We’re constantly moving forward, looking for opportunities to re-envision, reinvent, and reimagine the way we do things. We create impact at scale, and when we reach great we seek to be greater.
Love what you do
We seek to create an environment and mission that means everyone can do the best work of their life. Every day, as a team, and individually, we aim to show leadership, be positive and respectful to build a culture that we can be proud of and others take notice of.
Win together and learn together
We take risks and lean in. We recognise each other's, and our own, effort, as well as our outcomes. And sometimes that means we might fail, but we acknowledge what happened and rally together to learn from it and move forward.
Open and honest
At Antler, we are open and honest. We believe it’s important to start with empathy and communicate proactively. By taking ownership and accountability in this way, and being transparent and truthful, we are a stronger, happier, more productive team.
WHY ELSE ANTLER?
As part of this role, employees have the opportunity to be part of a growing global business, see the impact of their work on the day-to-day operations of the business, and join our mission to back the world’s most driven founders, from day zero to greatness.
Along with that, you will:
- Create a legacy with an opportunity to drive the direction of Antler in Queensland
- Be part of a platform that helps build and invests in hundreds of disruptive companies every year
- Opportunity to grow your network and develop your understanding of the startup, VC and business innovation space, supported by a personal L&D budget
- The chance to work in a global and rapidly growing company with a truly global team and culture with significant local and global growth opportunities
- Flexible working hours where you are empowered to work in a way that brings the best out of you, along with 4-weeks remote working per year, birthday days off and Summer Hours
- A competitive salary and Fund Carry options