Backend Software Engineer
Antler is a global early-stage venture capital firm that invests in the defining technology companies of tomorrow. Antler is on a mission to fundamentally improve the world by identifying, investing in and challenging the world’s most exceptional people to build groundbreaking technology companies.
We believe anyone with the right grit, spike, drive, and ambition can change the world. Antler is present in most major startup ecosystems across five continents and 27 cities, including hubs such as New York, London, Berlin, Bangalore, Singapore and Sydney. Since launching in 2017, we have invested in over 800+ companies across the world, and our portfolio represents over 30 different industries, such as healthtech, proptech, deeptech and fintech.
The aspiration for Antler is to be the world’s leading early-stage VC, and a value-adding partner for exceptional founders from pre-idea to IPO.
In this role you will be building technology that will help discover future founders, and support them in realizing their full potential. You will be joining a team who is experienced in building successful tech start-ups. If you are someone who prefers to work in environments with high autonomy coupled with high accountability, this is the role for you. We are business-focused software engineers.
You will be solving difficult problems with smart people, in a rapidly growing company. The team is still in its early stages of growth, with significant future upside to expand the product offering and make a big impact to founders globally. If this excites you, then you are in the right place.
This is a hybrid role with a strong focus on backend REST API development. You will be expected to work across the frontend codebase too, however we care more about your backend experience and your general attitude to learning. If you do not have experience with React, this should not stop you from applying if you meet the below criteria.
- Help build Antler’s internal technology platform, which supports both Antler fund teams to run efficient operations and also provides Antler founders with the tooling to facilitate company growth.
- Build scalable and maintainable code all the way through to production and verify it’s solving the right problem for the customer.
- Writing clean, high quality code which you will own end to end. Quality is the responsibility of each and every one of us.
- Communicating with other software engineers on the team, as well as product managers and designers, to make sensible engineering decisions.
- Ship fast, small increments to iterate quickly towards building working software.
- Understand the reasoning behind product decisions and contribute to implementation and architecture discussions.
- 2-3 years of experience building scalable products.
- Experience architecting and building secure REST APIs in a Node environment.
- Database design experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, or SQL Server.
- Commercial experience developing front-end solutions using React and TypeScript.
- Have enthusiasm for solving business problems with technology.
- Having a general interest in startups - it will help in understanding the product we are building.
- Be a team player who is driven, respectful of others, passionate about what you do, and determined to achieve results.
What we offer
- Flexible work arrangements to fit around your life
- Hybrid working: 2 days in our central Sydney office per week
- Autonomy in your role
- A non-hierarchical, results focused environment
- Long term incentive plan aligned to the success of our global investment funds
- Learning and development: regular technical presentations from senior members of the team